Monday, August 28, 2006

My review of Memoires of a Giesha

So I watched Memoires of a Giesha. I'm thinking, I've heard good things about the book, the movie won some Oscars, let me watch it and be amazed.
Well, I didn't know anything about Gieshas. The Giesha in particular who's memoir it was, well, her life sucked ass. It seems like all the Gieshas' did. I don't particularly enjoy watching people's lives that suck ass, but I guess this is art. She was orphaned and then turned into a slave then she is taken under this other Giesha's wing to become a Giesha and then she becomes uber-Giesha. To be freed from slavery she has to make all this money, which, I wasn't entirely sure how Gieshas make money from day to day, because they only attend parties, unless they are paid to attend parties, which makes them like Paris Hilton. Then, apparently there was this big plan to make all this money and I didn't know what the crap was going on. Apparently the Giesha chick didn't know either so she asked the teacher lady and she said that they were auctioning off her virginity to the highest bidder, I don't know why I didn't think of that. She didn't seem too thrilled, but I guess she figured her life sucked anyway. The part that really annoyed me was the end where the guy she has been obsessed with for years tells her that it was him that arranged for her to be a Giesha, which was supposed to be a good thing and get her out of slavery and whatever. If he liked her so darn much, how about just buy her, he was a lot older than her and had tons of money. How about when they were auctioning off her virginity? That too, would have been a fine time to step up. So my official assesment: kind of depressing, lots of confusing, supposedly happy ending that I thought was crap. But I respect it artistically, I guess.

1 Comments:

At 7:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had similar sentiments...so the giesha is actually an arm candy/hooker with pretty linens. it was interesting at least.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home