Thursday, October 05, 2006

pumpkin pickin' season

Last night we were invited to go pick pumpkins. It was at Nicole's parent's neighbor's patch. We load me, Nicole, Nicole's mom and our five kids all into the cab of a truck and head off. I didn't know where we were going, but thought for sure that loading people into the cab of a truck like a bunch of Mexicans was a farmer thing to do, and we were being farmers. Sorry if that was somehow racist toward Mexicans, but I used to live in Texas and thase dudes know how to cram the cab of a truck, that's all I'm saying...
Anyway, we immediatly take off on a dirt road. Kids are loving riding in the cab, we are riding though some very woodsy country. Then we come upon some train tracks, and there was a train stopped right before the road with his lights on, waiting for some other trains that were due to pass. It was quite the close up experience. We continued on. I knew we were going to the "bottoms" and while I knew that it meant river bottoms, I had never really seen it for myself. We were actually going up and over and back down leveys, it pretty much stopped being road and started being 'path' the kids were loving it. We all had to go "Whoa!" every time we bounced up and over and back down a levey. We even passed a bunch of turkeys that were in the road and even got the energy to fly away when we got near. Then we came to the pumpkin patch. This is when I realized that we were told to take all we wanted and why I was invited in the first place. The patch went on forever and they hadn't a prayer of picking them all and many would go to waste. I focused on picking the smaller pumpkins. I would set them by Nicole's mom's feet, she was standing in the middle of the patch holding the baby, and she would call the kids over to get them and put them in the truck. They were good little workers and thoroughly enjoyed the task. Then a train passed. You see, train engineers are very friendly. If they see kids waving, then they will toot the horn, very fun and exciting. So there we were, in the middle of this giant pumpkin patch in the bottoms, jumping up and down waving at the train when we got the acknowlging bellow of a "toot toot!" echoing across the field. It was so great. On the way back, I was coaching Isabella on how to work the window in the truck. She rolled it down all by herself and we stopped in the middle of the tracks staring down the front of the coal train and her tiny arm goes out the window with the international 'toot toot' arm pump, and the engineer layed it on us. Many giggles were shared.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home