Friday, March 03, 2006

Mam

I opened my store on Wednesday. I wanted to see how many interested parties would come in with zero advertising. We had a lot of rubberneckers, but not a lot of takers. You know what they say about fear of the unknown. For the most part, the people that came in were related to me, friends of my mom, or real busybodies. Between me and my two workers, we seriously know the entire town, or at least the entire town THINKS they know us. Some lady came in and pointed at one of my workers and said, "You're Sandy..." She was right, but Sandy had just lived in Tennesse for 12 years and she didn't know who the crap this lady was. Then she turns to me and says slowly, "You're a Reed... you're Leroy's daughter." I told her that Leroy was my uncle and Roscoe was my dad. She said she went to school with my dad. She clearly doens't know my family that well, since my first cousin, Leroy's one and only daughter, is easily 20 years older than me, we are not often confused with each other. Although, there aren't a lot of Reeds in Union so someone always assumes I'm one of my dad's brother's kids, if they don't get it right the first time. I expect this game to continue... pretty much forever. I started my advertising yesterday. Not with an ad in the paper, I made up a gift basket or two and went up to my old high school, kids in tow, who by the way, did not make a peep the entire time, except for Isabella knocking on the elevator and saying, "Knock knock door." Which is about the cutest thing ever. Might I say, that I always forget what a giant freak I look like when I am there, at least that is the look on the horrified high schoolers' faces when they see someone with small children. About half of the teachers are the same ones that were there when I was there. I ran into one of my old sience teachers, I forgot how unbelievabley nice he was. He's this big jolly super nice guy. He said he would come see me at my store. My main reason for going is that teachers can be gossip mongers and I thought a gift basket would get them talking. I ran into another teacher, not one of my favorites, but she was certainly on top of things. She has seen me in the paper and had some questions for me, I was happy to oblige answering her questions as long as it would feed the gossip beast, which is the only way to go in a small town. On the way out, Gabe threw his hat and I didn't notice, but a student did and she stopped me by calling me "Mam", ouch. I said, "Dude, I'm 26, I'm not a Mam." She kind of laughed, yeah, give it ten years chickie, then I'm gonna be laughing at you. I ran into another of my fav teachers on the way out, I told her one of her students just called me Mam. She said, "Welcome to our side of the fence." Touche.
I'm hitting all the businesses in downtown today, free samples and adorable children in tow. All you need is a stroller and some raisins and they don't make a peep. I'm having Isabelle giving out samples of a fragrance called Elizabelle, she'll be wearing squeaky shoes and she's have her name embroidered on her shirt, she can't miss. Am I using my daughter for my own personal gain? Perhaps, but I checked her schedule and she wasn't doing anything else today anyway.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home