Monday, April 07, 2008

Taking one for the team

Todd's idiot dog, Riley, has been up to no good again. You first met him when he was barking in the dog room and I threw water on him to shut him up. Well, it is a couple of years later, he is somewhere around 8-9 years old now, and he has taken to growling and snapping at me when I try to put him outside and he doesn't want to go. This, as you can imagine, has pissed me off to no end. I tried not letting him in, but the kids let the dogs in when I tell them not to. Everyone thinks we should get him put to sleep, including me, except Todd. Todd believes Riley's life has "worth" and he refuses to give up on him. If you have never met Riley, here's his bio: Shelter dog we aquired when he was about 1.5-2ish. He's about 60 pounds, fluffy as hell, and dumber than dirt. "Borderline untrainable" are Todd's words. He has no aim to please. He tried to kill our old vet every time we went. His somewhat redeeming qualities at least used to be: he was very sweet and snuggly, enjoyed a good body shave, very fast and graceful runner. His life didn't have all that worth in the first place, now he dares threaten to bite me? After 6 and a half year together? The nerve! Snapping, barking and growling, rather furociously I might add. I do love dogs, and I hate the idea of getting him put down, but with the kids and all, I think he has gone too far. Todd will not budge. Nicole told me to do it anyway. So did Elliott. Nicole is far more serious though. She would bring her gun over and do it herself if I asked her to. I figure I have two options: I always pull back when he snaps, (who wouldn't?) but if I grab him anyway and he bites me, then that would prove that he is dangerous. That would really be taking one for the team. I don't know if I'm up to it. My other option is to get a remote control shock collar and shock the shit out of him when he does it then I'll be a safe distance away and it could be considered 'training'. And I would enjoy it. Although I don't think it will really train him. I find it ridiculous to have to train your own dog not to be aggressive towards you. My other dog, Laney, if a great dog. Very smart and loyal. We've had her since she was a puppy. I couldn't help thinking: If Riley came after me, would she turn on me too or would she protect me? She spends more time with Riley than anyone. Where do her loyalties lie? Let's assume they are with me and pray I never have to find out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home