Monday, December 05, 2005

Saturday Afternoon


When I hosted bunco I gave out a couple of birthday cards with the pigs on them that I took at Nicole's family's farm. Joni, another former college roommate and another pig farmer and bunco member, thought her dad would get a kick out of these cards for Christmas. So I went out to her family's farm on Saturday afternoon and took some new ones so I could credit their farm and not Nicole's. Let me set the stage: Misting rain, muddy field filled with preganant or new mother pigs, me, pregnant Joni, and Joni's brother getting piglets out of hut in muddy field. Very large mother pig watching us from other side of hut. Piglets begin to squeal and Joni turns to me and says, "This is the part where we run." That's when I realize there is a sow after us. So we run and jump over the electric fence that is about a foot off the ground. I slowed down after clearing the fence but her brother yelled, "Keep running!" I turned and saw the sow hit the fence. He said later he thought the sow would go right through the fence. Out of sight, out of mind, so we got the hell out of there. It was great. I told Joni I loved going out to the pig farm, always lots of excitement. She said, "Well, what are you doing in three weeks? We are castrating." I think I'm busy that day.
Five points if somebody gets this reference in this photo.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home