Thursday, July 13, 2006

the cake lady

I've been doing all kinds of stuff lately and haven't felt like writing. Yesterday, it was 'the cakes'. It is zucchini season which means everyone that has a garden is giving away zucchini. These are the same people that didn't learn their lesson from last year and planted twice as much. I never plant any because it falls formt he skies this time of year and I feel it is my responsibility to take zucchini from those that have too much, and then bake it into cake and then give the cake to those that gave me the zucchini, and to just about eveyone else too. Yesterday I made two chocolate zucchini cakes, a zucchini carrot and two zapple. Zapple is Todd's favorite, but is is very involved and I only make it this time of year. The last time I made it, I had just taken it out of the oven and I had to leave so I told Todd to take care of the cake. I returned home late that night and the cake was gone. I looked in the fridge and there it was, sitting on a plate, uncovered, in the middle of the fridge. It is supposed to be a moist and delicious cake, but the uncovered refrigeration for several hours dried it out big time. Todd knows how refrigeration works, he just wasn't thinking in engineering terms, he was thinking in lazy husband terms where you just set something in the refrigerator if you want to preserve it. He was horrified to a certain extent when he was eating his favorite cake all dried out. Last night I toiled away once again on the zapple. I made a big one and many tiny cakes. I put them in the oven, set the timer and went to take a shower. I told Todd to take care of the cakes. I get out of the shower and ask him how the cakes turned out. He said the timer didn't go off yet. I told him that there were tiny cakes that needed to come out sooner, much sooner. So I ran into the kitchen to a burning smell. Luckily, the burning was from a little overflow. The little cakes weren't burned, but certainly done. After all that he said he wouldn't take a little heart shaped cake to work. I told him he didn't have to share it, he still refused. I told him to bite all the cuteness off of it so nobody can tell its a heart before he sits at the lunch table. He must have fallen for it because there was a heart shaped one missing this morning. I ruined five cakes during hell week last week and decided that zucchini last like seven years so I didn't know why I was trying to hurry and make a bunch of cakes the minute I got the zucchini. Six more zucchini to go, that is if nobody else gives me any....

1 Comments:

At 5:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I worked at a bakery in high school the owner would shredded the zuchinni and freeze it. Then we had zuchinni to make cakes in the winter.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home