My orchid
I bought an orchid to photograph. So I photographed it. Now I have to care for the thing. So I did some research and here's what I get:"Orchids are very easy to care for as long as you take notice of each orchids preferences. These include humidity, light and air, watering and feeding, temperature, and potting."
So I only have to worry about seven things all the time to stop my orchid from dying. Lets go on about the ease of care:
"Orchids prefer about 60% humidity. This is best achieved by either purchasing a humidity tray at your local orchid store or filling saucers or a tray with rocks and water underneath and around the orchid."
So all I have to do is by a hunidity tray or fill a saucer with rocks or build an entire greenhouse. No problemo. What next?
"Indoor orchids prefer anywhere from no direct light to most of the day - choose an orchid with the links from this page about different orchids to choose the one that's right for you. Ventilation is also very important - either open a window or turn a fan on - this makes the orchid happier and decreases your chance of getting bugs or bacteria."
So I need the perfect about of light and it needs its own personal fan. No biggie. So I need to buy it a little fan. I've got to keep it happy!
"Lift your orchid to tell when to water. If it is light, bring it to the sink or bring your watering can over and water. Filtered water is good but not necessary. Fertilize with a very weak solution often. Make sure every 3-4 waterings to water without fertilizer or you may get fertilizer buildup, resulting in health problems for the plant."
Well, we don't want any health problems... on to temperature:
"This is a biggie! Some like it warmer than others. Some like it cooler. If your orchids get too hot during the day, water and mist them."
How do I know if its too hot? Look for sweat? What if its too cold in the AC? Shall I buy it a sweater? Okay, one more thing to think about:
"Pot or repot every 1-2 years. One good way to tell when to reopt is that the mix the plant is in is very old."
How do I know if the mix is old? Did the guys at Lowes just repot the thing or has it been in this pot for years? The biggest question: How do these things survive in the wild? I feel like taking this thing out in the woods and telling it its on its own. I would so never do that. This thing cost me like $24, I did get a lovely little picture though...

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home