Friday, October 14, 2005

Gangbusters

Sara is my friend that got me started on the squeaky shoes. Her nieghbor owns the company and designs the shoes. So I got in contact with her and ordered my shoes the next day. Sara said she told her I was moving like gangbusters. This amused me. I try to move like gangbusters when it comes to the store. The contractor, Mike, told me that they ran into a snag with the renovations. He said the city was making him replace the support beam which goes under structural work and he was only doing cosmetic work. To do structural work, he needs a structural engineer to stamp his drawing and do his little calculations to make sure the ceiling won't come down and kill all my customers. He got a bid from the one guy in town that wasn't too busy to even talk to him, and it was over $5,000. That was 5 grand that I would have to eat because it wasn't in the original scope. I told him to give me the drawings and I would take care of it. It took him a couple of days to get them to me, but I had them back to him in under 24 hours, stamped. It will cost me $100 thanks to my brother asking the structural guy he works with to do his thing. Mike, the word you are looking for is gangbusters. Elliott feared Mike was trying to screw me, but I saw the bid from the engineering joint, and Elliott and Todd both know that they jack up the prices the most on the little jobs. Even contractors do it. The smaller the job the more they will charge you for everything. Mike is my nieghbor, for the record. I didn't find out until after the first time I met with him and I thought he was following me home. As it turns out, he was just going home himself. It is pretty handy to live so close because we are often dropping stuff off at each other's houses. But yeah, that's the update on the store.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home