Oh, Christmas Tree

As far back as I can remember, our Christmas tree was the same plastic fake one. Then the year my dad died my mom got a live one that could be planted. It was kind of sad and small, because you just can't lift a full sized one roots and all. Now it is this giant force in my mom's yard. It was the one that got the better of me last year during the Christmas light hanging incedent. After that, we would go to a Chrstmas tree place and cut our own. The first year, in my mind, we got the most beautiful tree. It was so much better than our fake one. Floor to cieling, white lights and instead of garland, we used pearl and gold beads. I even ran white lights around the entire house, I think that was the year I did that. They still hang to this day, at least in the living room, and are lit at all times of the year. My mom even leaves up her obnoxious red garland wreath and her Christmas town up on the mantle, year round. This kids like to see it light up. She even has a little merry go round and ferris wheel. We were going to all go cut trees this year but Isabella got sick and we all just weren't into it. Then Todd got into wanting a fake tree. I think he says stuff like that just to terrorize me, pretending it is to save money. Yeah, like the purchase of a tree every year is going to break us. Last year we didn't buy a tree at all. We didn't move into this house until the day before Christmas Eve. My mom didn't put up her Christmas tree, she brought it over here and put it up while we were at Todd's parents' on Christmas Eve. Then at her house she put up one of those white spiral trees that you are supposed to put in your yard, in her house. So anyway, yesterday, me and mom and the kids went to Lowes and I bought a fake tree. It is 9 ft tall. I don't think you can get one bigger. Then mom helped me decorate it while the kids were asleep. I had box after box of ornaments. I put every last one on that tree. Mom was in charge of untangling them and talking about how old they all were and who we got them from, I put them on the tree. What a walk back in time. There were some ornaments that I bought when I was ten for my mom and grandma that I had gotten engraved, they did it on the spot at Wal-Mart. I remembered most of them from decorating the tree when I was little, it was great. I also used those gold and pearl beads on the tree. It is so glorious. The fake trees have come a long way. I suggest helping your mom put up the tree this year if you have a chance, it is quite the walk down memory lane.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home