From principle's office to principle's office
I often notice how funny life is and how things work out. It is less and less often that people send their kids to the school they went to, in my case however, this will be true. So this week I wandered over my old gradeschool and registered as a parishiner, then I wandered over to enroll my little darling in preschool. The first time you are on the other side of the fence, you still remember the view from the other side. So many times going to mass in that church, eating in the old cafateria, walking through the halls. In my younger years, I was occasionally picked on, I ended up in the principle's office once or twice, I wasn't exactly at the top of the old totem pole. This week however, I felt vindicated for my years of mediocrity as a child. The chick at the parish office, who was once my superior since she was two years ahead of me in school, she knew so much about me, she practically filled out the form for me. Then I went to the gradeschool, FYI, you get a discount for being a parishiner, to sign up Isabel for school, and the secratary there was all, "Hey, don't you own that new store in town?" I asked her if she got any of the gift basket I sent to school and she knew nothing of it, so I came back with another for the main office. I thought they were be there until five, but apparently they bolt at 3:00. So I have this basket and all I need is for somebody to let me in so I can leave it for tomorrow. That's when I see my fourth grade teacher. She doesn't have access to the office, but she found it appropriate to disrupt the meeting that the principle was in to announce my presence and that I had a gift basket for the office. Then the principle apologizes for not recognizing me when I was in the office earlier that day since we had met before, many years ago. She even got up and came over to the door and everything. I was wigged out over the whole, disrupting a meeting thing so I got the heck out of there as fast as I could. Upon further review, pretty sweet that they dropped everything for me. Its nice not to be a peon anymore.
3 Comments:
I don't doubt that Mrs. Fox is still there, but is Sister Kathleen still the Principal...I need names to these blasts from the past! KQ
Sister Kathleen is not still the principal. Mrs. Simcox is the manager at movie theater since she never bother to get certified as a teacher, they wouldn't let her teach anymore. Most of our old teachers are in the wind, but their memories remain...
In some situations I think it really helps a person to attend the school his or her parents did. One of my cousins had tons of problems in grade school. I don't think he ever stayed at the same school for more than a year. (He was very smart, but he had some behavior and emotional problems.) When it came time for high school my aunt sent him to her Alma Mater. When they went to register even though their family had not lived in the community for years several teachers and administrators immediately recognized and talked with my aunt and cousin. My cousins had no problems at this school and went all 4 years there. I guess it could be that he just matured, but I think there was some connection. From the very beginning he knew his family had history there which gave him comfort and confidence in the school. He felt a little more rooted from the start. I just thought that was an interesting tidbit to think on.
Post a Comment
<< Home