Friday, June 10, 2005

Engineer vs. Artist

Todd will often complain that I don't show him what I am working on in terms of photography. This week I was reminded of why I sometimes forget. So I've been running the legs off my new digital camera, its awesome and I love it. I've been taking lots of photos from people's flower gardens. I find this to be ideal in terms of photography. I don't have to pose the flowers, they don't talk back, I can take my time, I'm done when I say I'm done. Nature is inherintly beautiful. I thought I would run out of ideas and cool flower pics right away, but I haven't. I've been having a great time and I love my little creations. I turn them into greeting cars for the people who's garden I've photographed. So I showed him some cards from one particular shoot and I ask him which are his favorites and he picks the two that I liked the least and almost thought of not using them. So since our brains are wired totally differently, I thought that his pics actually seemed about right. So then yesterday I show him some more, the same thing happens again. And he actually said he was tired of the flower pictures. Tired? I'm just getting started! In college we had to focus on a particular subject for at least one semester. I had a photo of water flowing over rocks that was a super close up, so much so that it was becoming abstract. Which I love. To be clear, I love abstract photos, not necessarily abstract paintings. They are different beasts. In photography you are starting with a real object and are making it look like something else. In painting I think the real challenge to to take paint and make it look like something, not like nothing, because anyone can do that. So anyway, he was appalled by my water picture because he said it looked like bug guts, he was not at all amused. Bug Guts? Abstraction acheived, I'm victorious!
After four years of him looking at flower pictures and four years of me NOT hearing about turbochargers, then we'll be even.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home