Monday, July 25, 2005

Justin's birthday party

I forgot to talk about Justin's birthday party. He is Todd's brother, and he turned 30. Todd's parents bought him a bed for his birthday. He was still sleeping on a single bed and they thought it was time for a big boy bed. They didn't strap it down in the back of their truck and as soon as they hit top speed on hwy 44 it went FLYING out the back and taking the gas grill with it. Luckly for just about everyone on the highway that day, the propane tank wasn't attached and remained in the truck. No one was anywhere close to their truck to be hit by their highway yard sale.
Justin's actual party was uneventful. They spent way too much time trying to get the gas grill to work and the other charcoal grill started. When it was present opening time, there was only one present to be opened, ours, and it was just sheets for his new bed. Justin took a good twenty minutes to open it. I'm not kidding. He does this every Christmas too. He likes to make present opening last as long as humanly possible to prolong his childlike joy of recieving a present. So when opening the sheets he would undo one piece of tape and then talk a little. Then open another piece, then talk a little more. Eventually I was like, "Justin, for the love of God, open your stupid present." I had kids to go home to. We didn't bring the kids. Some other of his nerdy friends had a kid. They bought his giant 20 sided role playing dice. That kid doesn't have a chance. They claimed their year and a half old kid learned three new words a day. Learned implies that he not only says, but understands the meaning of the word. That I do not believe. After two months he would know and speak 180 words. No freaking way. Cole will repeat anything you say, but he doens't understand everything you say and he's a year older. Elliott is always messing with him getting him to say wierd stuff. I know he doens't understand it. Although, I was highly impressed yesterday. Cole was telling Aunt Sally that somebody was sleeping, only when he said it it sounded like sweeping. So she would say, They're sweeping?" He would say, "Sweeping!" They were in that tug of war for a while until he eventually said, "They're taking a nap." We were both impressed with the rephrase when he felt he was being misunderstood. Now all he needs to do is figure out when he's being mocked and he'll be in good shape.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home