Monday, April 17, 2006

turning out

I read this article one time and it was a mother talking about her kids "turning out". That term meaning that your kids grow up, go to college or whatever and get a real job and live on their own as productive citizens who are self-sufficient. Once you are out there supporting yourself, you've 'turned out'. She was reflecting on waking up one day and your child is a real-life adult. It is safe to say, that Todd has turned out. As of Friday, we will have been married five years. Todd has had a job ever since the day he graduated, he actually got the job months before he graduated. He has been a productive citizen for quite some time. His brother... not so much. He is 30 years old, on his second try at college, and just got turned down for a car loan, so his parents have to buy him a car. They were giving him money to supplement his income. Now is is set to graduate in December, and they are anxiously awaiting him "turning out". I, however, can not help but be a pessimist about his job and financial situation, since one can rarely change old habits, particularly if one doesn't want to change old habits. I've heard stories, and I've been around a few years now, and there ain't no way he will be able to get a job, keep a job, and pay back his debts. In any event, I'll be here as a spectator, as his soap opera unfolds, FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home