Sunday, May 07, 2006

you can't escape your dreams

What is it about sharks that makes them so scary? Probably because they can eat you, and that is one of the scarier things out there. I used to think that they weren't so scary, because all you had to do is stay out of the ocean. However, I had a dream about a shark last night, and I learned you can't escape your dreams. It was one of those, I don't know how we got here, but it is night, the boat is sinking, we are in the middle of nowhere, it is just me and my generic friend (who happens to look like Darlene's boyfriend from Roseanne), and my friend has a giant bleeding wound ensuring that every shark in a ten mile radius is going to be looking for dinner. So in my dream, I had to either stay with my friend, or swim my ass away from him and probably be eaten or drown anyway. I don't remember what exactly happened, I do remember wishing for a bunch of dolphins to wisk us away to safety, which seems to be as good a plan as any. I did wake up, and I was kinda half in and half out of it, but it scared me pretty good and all I could think was how much I hated sharks. So basically, there was no ending. At bunko one night, everyone was talking about the whole, what would you choose thing, about your kids, and if you had to pick one or the other like in a fire or something. Susan, with the quads, she said she always wondered what she would do in a fire. I told her you get a sheet, throw them all in it, throw it over your shoulder, and haul ass otta there. It is easy to set up perfect situations where you must pick one or the other, but rarely in life does that actually happen. One should always give it the old college try, in this house, we leave no child behind. I read a tsunami story about a woman that had her two year old and her five year old attached her her and she had to ditch the five year old. The five year old was picked up by a 16 year old, and also ditched, he eventually saved himself and was reunited later to his family, who also survived. All I could think was, "Sounds to me, mom, like you should swim a little harder, because you don't ditch your kid." Talk about some anomosity the rest of your life. "Mom, can I have this toy?" "No." "Yeah, thanks for choosing my brother over me and leaving me for dead, and now I can't have this toy." Not like I always do everything perfectly, I find occasion where I am lying on the floor exhausted while the kids climb on me rather than giving them piggy back rides, but if I need to wrestle my kid away from a snake, or a snake away from my kid, then I will find it in me. Happily, I gave birth to the snake whisperer, not the snake wrestler. I will also never need to worry about going down on a ship into shark infested waters, as I plan to never be in that situation. If a tsunami ever hits the midwest, Isabella and Gabriel can rest assured, I'll have an arm around each kid and I'm going to keep swimming, hell or high water, as they say. Now, if I can keep the sharks and snakes out of my dreams, I'll be doing good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home