Wednesday, June 14, 2006

There once was a bird

Back when we lived in Texas, a young bluejay fell out of its nest and into my goldfish pond. I fished him out and set him on a towel and brought him in my house. He was quite disoriented and seemed the whole experience would be the end of him. I put a space heater on him and layed down for a nap, since I was pregnant and tired. I woke up to chirping. He had a new lease on life and wasn't about to let me touch him again. So I opened the sliding door and out he went. I swear he used to sit on a branch outside my window and watch me after that.
This past weekend, there was a huge storm. A little baby bird got thrown out of his nest and lay in my mom's driveway the next morning. She moved him out of the way so no one would run over him. I picked him up and put him on a towel in a basket in the garage. Aunt Sally decided she would have to feed him from an eye dropper from now on. He did eat from it. But once he dried off and didn't look near death anymore, my cousin said he flew right back up in the tree. This bird looked like he had one foot in the grave, but baby birds have different kind of feathers and look like death if they are wet. They also get highly disoriented and look like they are having siesures. If you ever see this and it depresses you, just put the thing on a towel in a dry place, away from cats, and the little dude will be fine, trust me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home